07 December, 2010

The Best Chili Ever


I hate chili. I really, really do. My dear mother has spent years making chili, the regular kind and something entitled 'Salsa Chili', which many people love and I, alas, cannot stand. I don't know what it is about it. I eat all the ingredients of chili in other recipes but I have never found a recipe for chili that I ever liked...till recently.

It came from one of my best friends, the same that introduced me to Homemade Pop Tarts. Her chili is wonderful; every time I make it.



The Best Chili Ever

3 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can chili beans
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 tbsp olive oil
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 good sized onion, chopped
1 good beer
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce

In a saute pan, combine olive oil, peppers and onion. Saute until onion is translucent. Pour tomatoes into a large stock pot over medium heat. With a slotted spoon, drain the peppers and onions and add them to the tomatoes.



Add ground beef to pan and saute until cooked through. While beef is cooking, add beans to the tomatoes. When the beef is cooked, drain and add to tomatoes. Add spices, sugar and beer to the tomatoes.



Simmer for two hours. Taste, if it's too spicy, add a little more beer. If it's not spicy enough, add a little more Tabasco and cayenne.

Serve topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese with tortilla chips for dipping.

1 comment:

  1. Since you aren't the biggest chili fan, feel free to invite me over whenever you are making it.

    I can make that chili disappear fairly quick.

    ReplyDelete

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket