17 January, 2011

Fried Pickles!

 
The other day, we went out with friends to a restaurant that had fried pickles listed as an appetizer. Now, I love pickles and I, unfortunately, have an affinity for fried things as well. But together, I wasn't really sure about that. But since I've had fried green beans before and loved them, we gave it a shot.

They were rather awesome! The pickle was still crunchy as it should be but now it was covered with a light breading and accompanied by a creamy and slightly tangy sauce. When I got home, I decided to try it and see if I could make them without the need of a deep fryer, which I don't have due to the teeny-ness of my kitchen. (and because fried things are not high on the good-for-you chart)

Success! They were perfect, almost exactly the same as the ones in the restaurant and delicious!! So for all of you who love pickles, this is how you make them even better:

Fried Pickles

1 jar dill pickle spears
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1 beaten egg
panko breadcrumbs

Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Meanwhile, put flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in three different shallow plates.



Remove pickle spears from pickle juice and pat dry with paper towels. Coat one pickle in flour, shake to remove excess. Coat in egg and then in breadcrumbs.



Place gently in frying pan and fry about two minutes on each side, or until each side is golden brown.  Repeat with remaining pickles. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Allow to cool slightly before serving.



To make the dipping sauce:

1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream

1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh dill
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil


Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I have never been big on pickles but I will try anything fried. I like this post. It fulfills the "adventure" portion of the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you'll try it since us girls decided already that this is going to be the appetizer portion of our cooking day menu. You'll like them. It's fried, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket