05 February, 2011

Apple Chips


We've been trying to eat healthier in this household lately. It's not the easiest thing to do when it's cold and snowy and gross out and all you want to do is curl up inside with junk food and never leave the house, but we are trying. In an effort to find something that is snackable but in the category of "very healthy", I remembered eating apple chips as a child. I think we bought them in a bag at the health food superstore that my mother frequented when I was little. She was very health-conscious then...very, very health-conscious and therefore I blame her for my love of sweets and junk food. I was denied it in my young years so I'm making up for it now! I digress.

Anyway, back to eating healthy. Apple chips were crunchy unlike their dried apple counterparts and only slight sweet, but still delicious. So I decided to give it a shot. All the recipes I could find said to slice the apple into 1/16 inch slices. Any idea how difficult it is to slice a lopsided, slightly oblong apple into 1/16 inch slices? Nigh impossible, at least for me. Needless to say, I barely escaped with all of my fingers. I gave up then.

The next day, we went to Williams Sonoma where I bought a mandoline slicer, which is now my new best friend. This makes cutting 1/16 inch slices the easiest thing ever. That evening, I was in possession of a bowl full of apple chips! Success!

Well, minor success. My husband thinks they're gross and won't touch them. More for me then.



Apple Chips

2 large firm apples like Gala
Mandoline Slicer                                                  
Parchment Paper
Cookie Sheets

Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Slice apples 1/16 inch thick according to your slicer's instructions. I also used a heart shaped fondant cutter to remove the core from a few of the slices. The other apple I cut in half and cored with a melon baller first.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place apples on parchment and then in oven.
Bake for two hours. Remove from oven to cool.

Be prepared to consume the entire bowl in one sitting. I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket