14 May, 2011

"Alice in Wonderland" Inspired Tea Cabinet



I love tea and teacups and teapots, and Alice in Wonderland. My husband loves woodworking and making things for the house. Those two loves translated into something amazing. He made me a tea cabinet that hangs on the wall and holds twelve different kinds of tea in twelve individual drawers. Each drawer has a glass front slot that holds one tea bag so that you can see what tea is in each drawer. Then there is a shelf on the top for a teapot and saucers and four hooks on the bottom for the teacups.

Usually when he makes something for the house, it is left natural or lightly finished to show of the wood. This time though, he left it blank, as it were, for me to paint however I wanted. This terrified me.

I am not really an artist and I've never been really sure of myself with paint. The idea of painting this beautiful piece of furniture made me really nervous. After much thought and consultation with a very good friend, I just went for it. At worst, I figured, I could always paint over it again.

Being that it was for tea, I wanted an Alice-y theme to it but I didn't want it too theme-y. For instance, I didn't want it emblazoned with busts of every character from the Wonderland books.  I wanted it to be subtly Alice. So I chose Harlequin black and white diamonds for the backs of both shelves; pink stripes for the sides reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat from the Disney version, and Alice blue for the shelves and front.

Below are the photos of the transformation:

My painting setup

Maximus is supervising.


A cup of tea for inspiration.

Marking the edges with painters tape, Callisto is supervising here.

Marking out the white tiles with tape.

Painting the black tiles.

Marking for the pink stripes.

Stripes finished.
And here is the finished product!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket