09 July, 2010

Risotto


For years, I have been under the impression that the soft, creamy delightful dish that is risotto is only achieved by spending hours and hours laboriously stirring a large pot of rice thereby slowly coaxing it to give up its perfect texture. I was deceived. Risotto is incredibly easy. Granted you do need to keep an eye on it or the rice will burn to the bottom of your pan in such a way that I strongly recommend you toss the pot into the nearest trash receptacle and go purchase another one. Been there, done that.
However, it still is an easy and delicious dish with a wonderful versatility to it. Try it, you'll never go back to plain old rice.
Basic Easy Risotto
3 tbsp butter, divided
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
3/4 cup white wine, I use Cavet Pino Grigio
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
In heavy saucepan, combine 2 tbsp butter and olive oil over medium heat. When butter is melted, add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is transparent and slightly golden. Add rice to pan and stir until the rice has soaked up most of the liquid. Immediately add the white wine and stir once. When rice has soaked up most of the wine, about 2 minutes, add 1 cup of chicken stock and stir. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn heat down to medium low. Add another cup of chicken stock and cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add third cup of chicken stock and cook another five minutes stirring occasionally. Add last cup of chicken stock and cook for five minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tbsp butter and parmesan cheese. Serve.
Note: There will probably be a small amount of burned rice at the bottom. If you can't scrape it off, try filling the pan with water and adding a bit of dish soap to it. Put it back on the stove and bring to a boil. Or, you could fill it with water and dish soap and leave it in your sink for a day. That usually works for me.
Leftover Risotto
I always have leftover risotto since I always end up making more than we can eat. However, leftovers mean quick and easy dinner the next day. Hooray!
I take the leftover risotto and reheat it in a covered saucepan with about a little bit of water or white wine. You could probably do this in a microwave but I don't own one so I don't know for sure. In another saucepan I steam frozen spinach, broccoli, green beans...really whatever frozen veggie I find in the freezer. Generally, I also have leftover meat from whatever I made with the risotto the night before. I cut that meat, (chicken, pork or possibly sausage) into bite size pieces and add it to the reheating risotto. When the frozen veggie is just about done, I strain it and add it to the risotto and meat and stir well. Add a little bit more parmesan cheese and serve in bowls with perhaps a little slice of italian bread. That took probably took all of 15 minutes. Voila.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket