09 August, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan (low-carb)



I am attempting to write this post as my cat battles the laptop for supremacy over my lap. It makes it very difficult to type.

Moving on, as I said, I am on a six week very low carb diet under the supervision of a nutritionist. Six weeks of no bread, pasta and sugars makes one very creative. For one thing, this means there is no breading that I can have on meat, or in this case aubergine. However, I can have all kinds of nuts including almonds. Almond meal is readily available at grocery stores, Trader Joes and health food stores. It's very finely ground, similar to fine breadcrumbs, which makes it a great substitute. My husband can't tell the difference between the almond meal breading and other breadings. And I think that the almond meal gives whatever it's on a nuttier flavor and a nice crunch.

Eggplant Parmesan

1 medium sized eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch disks

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup almond meal

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 tbsp basil

2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

mozzarella cheese, shredded

Parmesan cheese, shredded


In a large saute pan, heat olive oil on medium low heat. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add crushed garlic and allow to cook until just golden brown. Pour the crushed tomatoes into the saucepan. This WILL spit and sputter so please be very careful. Add basil, oregano and cayenne to tomatoes, stir and allow to simmer. Meanwhile, on a large plate or shallow bowl, beat eggs. On another plate or bowl, pour almond meal. Dip slices of eggplant first into the egg and then into the almond meal, shaking off the excess gently. Place 'breaded' slices in the saute pan. Work in batches so as not to over crowd the eggplant. Cook on one side for about two minutes or until that side is golden brown, then flip. Cook for another two minutes. Remove to a platter to keep warm.



To serve, I pour a little sauce on the bottom of my plate and place the slices on the tomato sauce net to one another instead of layered. I add more tomato sauce on top and top with the cheese (the amount if cheese is at one's own discretion). I like to put the plates under the broiler for a minute so that the cheese gets a little burnt and bubbly.



This isn't the greatest picture, sorry.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Rachel! I've never even heard of Almond meal. I cant wait to buy some and try making it this week! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Aventures,
    It's me again. I recently started a food blog, and this recipe is SOOOO GOOD that I set up a link for it from my blog to yours! Check it out!
    http://fifisfinefoods.blogspot.com/
    Best wishes for a smaller waistline to all!

    ReplyDelete

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket