01 August, 2010

Guacamole


I was very in the mood for guacamole today and happily in possession of two ripe avocados. Unfortunately, I was not in possession of the fresh Cilantro and lime juice that is supposed to be the other main ingredients to guacamole. I also lacked a sufficiently delicious sounding recipe for it, so I made up my own.

Guacamole (without the correct ingredients)

2 ripe avocados
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tbsp dried cilantro
1 tsp lemon juice (as I said, I was out of limes)
salt and pepper

The best way that I have found to chop avocados is to slice it all the way around the pit and twist to release the two halves. Smack the pit with the cutting edge of your knife to embed the blade into the pit and twist to remove. (Being careful not to accidentally hit your hand) Using a paring knife, slice through the flesh of the avocado, but not through the skin, first lengthwise and then crosswise creating a checkerboard pattern. Using a large spoon, scoop out the diced avocado into a medium bowl.

With both avocados now safely in said bowl, squash lightly with a fork. (I like guacamole to be substantial and with texture instead of the consistency of whipped mousse) Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir. Cover with plastic wrap, pop in fridge and allow to marinate happily. (All food marinates happily. If it wasn't happy, it wouldn't taste good.)

While my guacamole was happily marinating, I sliced a few pitas into little triangles and arranged them on a baking sheet. After brushing with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper, I toasted them in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Voila! Homemade, un-fried pita chips with homemade guacamole!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Miss Adventures in a Tiny Kitchen. Design by Pocket